Pages

December 10, 2016

Note to Maori Filmmakers

Maori filmmakers are the best New Zealand has to offer I believe. I watched Mt Zion recently and it encapsulates 1979 quite well, with a few quibbles:

The cars. I realise they were probably scrounging round looking for cars to use, the main one being a Holden Kingswood ute; I also saw a 1950's Morris or Wolseley (hard to say), a Jaguar XJ6 and a Bedford van.

About this, thing is, for Maori potato contractors, I don't think the father would be driving such a car as a Holden Kingswood. He'd know anything Holden was unreliable (and a lurch to the left, not politically, they did lurch to the left literally). They were expensive for what you got for the money. More likely he'd be driving a MkIII Zephyr (Ford), or possibly a MkII Zephyr, even a MkI. If he wanted a really good car then it'd be a Chrysler Valiant VH ute, like the one below:


These cars are legendarily reliable and solid, Maori loved them.

I don't know why Pakeha can't make good period movies set in their society, watch the Maori productions and learn I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment