Pages

October 07, 2020

The Press Leaders Debate 2020

The Press is Christchurch's daily newspaper. Leading up to general elections they host a town hall type debate between the leaders of the two main political parties. Last night, the showdown was between Jacinda Ardern of Labour and Judith Collins from National.

The debate was streamed online, it was not a television broadcast event. The quality of the feed was very poor and so I could not actually score the debate as I'd not heard all of it. But what I could discern was that the town hall had been stacked with Labour supporters. Following the debate, experts all agreed Jacinda Ardern won it. Sounds good right?

Hang on, competitor NZ Herald ran a straw poll and 23,000 respondents had it 52% Collins, 43% Ardern, 5% a draw. Then a day later the number of respondents had doubled but still Judith Collins led with 49% to 45%, 6% calling it a draw. 

Do you see what I'm getting at? There is a serious disconnect between what the media want to happen, what the so-called experts want to happen, and what the people are actually thinking.

I'm going to make the call now. I'm calling this a groundswell of support for Judith Collins and National. Back in 2017 I called it for Ardern and Labour. Three years on the electorate has flipped back after a disastrous term in office by Labour. They can't get anything done. I believe the 'experts' are in for a shock come the election result on the evening of Oct.,17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment