Pages

February 22, 2019

Tourism: New Zealand needs good myths

It was the bridge of lies, err, bridge of sighs in Venice which got me thinking about this: Venice has woven an intricate set of myths around its romance. It's complete bollocks of course, often knowingly so (my wife thinks many locals actually now believe the lies, but I demur).

New Zealand has to get in on the act. Scenery alone doesn't cut it, there are a lot of places in the world that are stunningly beautiful (I'm committing heresy saying it). And when I say get in on the act, I mean relentlessly go on about it, rather like Australia promotes its better climate when in fact it is nothing of the sort, it's either burning, in drought, or a mosquito infested swamp.

The idea of running a 24 hours TV channel in Europe comes to mind. We noticed in Italy that countries in Africa even promote themselves this way in Europe. Nothing about NZ, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment