Pages

June 11, 2020

J.K. Rowling Essay

People interested in reading the essay by J.K. Rowling on gender issues can read it here: https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

If I was marking this essay I'd probably give it an A-. She loses me when bringing her own experiences of domestic violence into the debate. I don't exactly see how this fits. As an aside, I've only read her first book and did form the impression then that she'd been the victim of abuse. I can't point to any one piece of that work, it's just an overarching feeling that emerges.

Where I think her argument stands up well is her addressing issues around privacy. There are real concerns that any man can now instantly claim status as a woman and turn up in a swimming pool changing shed amongst the girls, or anywhere they like really. Often laws that are now proposed entrench that new right. And what of girls? Do they have no say in any of this, or their parents?

While her essay is a thoughtful work, I'd like to have seen more argument around these gender and sex issues, rather than an account of her own life experiences. Otherwise, a good effort. Note, I'm not saying I agree with her in everything she's saying, just assessing her ability to say it and her absolute right to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment