Pages

February 12, 2024

Super Bowl LVIII

Being a sucker for punishment, I endured yet another Super Bowl. I still don't fully understand the game, but things are now a bit clearer for me. 

I appreciate defense, and I could see that this contest was one where defense played a major part. Then when each play of the ball occurred faster, rather than be interrupted by timeouts, the game tended to come alive and become interesting.

Some aspects of play do still annoy me; when the ball is kicked off, and the kicker puts the ball out over the end of the field, that should be a penalty back at halfway or something. Instead, the receiving team start at 25 yards automatically. The other thing that annoys are incomplete plays. Both intentionally kicking out over the end of the field and throwing the ball out intentionally should be actively discouraged IMHO. Keep the ball in play, make the players play.

The end of the game was fitting though, with Hardman receiving the ball for the winning play. He was left wide open and the Chiefs quarterback made a skilful pass to him. 

And I did note Travis Kelce bullying the coach. Someone has got to talk to him and get him to pull his head in. That kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm sticking with both kinds of Rugby; Union and League football. They both offer more continuous play and are a real test of skill and stamina.


No comments:

Post a Comment