Pages

June 29, 2017

PACCAR Inc

My latest stock tip is PACCAR Inc., (Nasdaq PCAR) They're a truck manufacturer and a pretty good one at that. Brands under their roof include Kenworth, Peterbilt and DAF.

They also own Leyland and Foden. Why they retired these brands is a matter of conjecture and a mistake in my opinion. The Leyland plant in England is still producing but the trucks coming out the door are branded DAF. This seems strange as Leyland is a well respected premium truck brand right across the former British Empire. Foden also has a respected name, particularly its tippers. Maybe the Americans don't understand the depth and breadth of the brands.

But that aside, PACCAR is cheap right now. Since I adjusted my portfolio they're up 4%. By the way, for those following my tips, back in January 2016 I tipped Joy Global which was about $10 at the time. Later that year when Komatsu America bought them out, the price was just north of $28. I did say at the time that it was a pick for the not so risk averse as it could go either way. For those of you that are risk takers, you made a lot of money.

Is PACCAR in the Joy Global camp? No way. Can you imagine a world without Kenworth? I can't and that's why they won't disappear any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment